Knitting Clerkenwell

A while back The Clerkenwell Kid (aka Stephen Coates) asked me to let him know when I would knit Clerkenwell. As you can see, that day has arrived.This is Clerkenwell in sock form (and it's been Ravelled.) The colourwork cuff boasts patterning reminiscent of clocks and crosses (the area has particular associations with both) and the serpentine cabling depicts the lost River Fleet -- diverted and hidden but still flowing underground.

Mr. Coates has a certain affinity with Clerkenwell that is infectious to say the least. Since I've gotten myself caught up in the mystery and mythology that he's created it's only fitting that I commemorate the entire affair in silk and wool. I can only hope that I've done it justice.Be that as it may, you can be sure that I will be sporting a pair when I visit Clerkenwell this spring to follow the River Fleet myself. For those of you who would like to do the same (or would just like to knit yourself or someone you love a pair of elegant socks,) the pattern will be available very, very soon.

2 comments:

Ms. Kimba said...

Wow, not only are the socks gorgeous, but I went to check out the blog you linked, Clerkenwell, and of course I read the most recent comments...I too will be in London in March to visit my friends. Small world yeah?

I don't think I'll have time to check out the rivers but I have to say, one post and I am curious now.

Maryse said...

Nice socks! Love the cables! Looks like a very interesting pair of socks to make!