That's how they do it in Warsaw...

...or at least in Boleslawiec, Poland's Town of Ceramics. Yes, my European-folk-art-itch is being scratched again. (On a semi-related note, the title for this post has been unceremoniously lifted from a Martin Tielli song (lyrics here, scroll down.) If you are not familiar with Mr. Tielli or the band he was a part of--the Rheostatics--I suggest that you rectify this immediately. Yes, I am using parentheses within parentheses! Somebody stop me!)

I have another new mitten-in-progress to show you, despite not having knit a stitch on the poor Domovina socks since the last time you saw them.

This is Polska (Ravelry link,) which will eventually be a pair of Latvian-type colourwork mittens. It's the result of staring at my favourite mug (a piece of Polish stoneware) a little too long. I just love the folky colours and pattern; it's so simple and perfect. I can't believe how well the pattern translates in mitten-form!

The pattern for Polska will be put out there as as soon as possible (hopefully.) Mitten season will be here before we know it.

I just can't help it--I see the potential for mittens everywhere! Hopefully the next time you see Polska she'll be finished. Then you can be subjected to the Mitten That Snuck Up On Me While I Was Out For A Walk.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My SIL and her DH were statitioned in Germany and she loves Polish Pottery. They took a few trips into Poland and brought back huge amounts of it. I even have a few pieces but they don't go with the rest of my stuff. Your mitten looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I too, am a collector of Polish pottery! My daughter and family were stationed in Germany for a total of 10 years and she collected it and I loved it the moment I saw it! I must have about 50 pieces in all the many patterns available. I can hardly wait for your mitten pattern to be finished! Two pair of Polish pottery mittens will be on my needles in seconds! Thanks, Spillyjane!

Anonymous said...

What a phantastic idea - this looks great!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous mittens! I've never seen Polish pottery before, but now I'm very curious.

Adriana said...

Those mittens are absolutely stunning! I am very impressed with how you translated the mug into mittens :)

Ann said...

It's a lovely pattern on the cup & you are so clever to translate that into knitting - the mittens look great & I love the colors.

MaryjoO said...

quite cool! What a great idea! I have some of the stuff (Polish pottery) in the peacock pattern -- so it's like that but with some leaves....

Anonymous said...

How fun! I just spent a week in Krakow on vacation and bought a bunch more of this beautiful pottery. I *have* to make the mittens. Thanks for a great idea.

Caps said...

Love the mug, love the mittens.

Aimee said...

I love that mitten! So happy.