...well, almost: There's a new sock pattern in the works -- the Trestle Socks. Available in two separate yarn weights and needle sizes (fingering and sport; 2.75 mm and 3.25 mm,) wonderfully gender-spanning (socks for everyone!) and easily sized up (because everyone has an awful lot of feet and some are bound to be larger than others.) These socks were inspired by select railway architecture of Athens, GA which I had the opportunity to visit this past summer.
The sock in the picture up there is, perhaps unfortunately, not long for this world. I keep knitting, inspecting, ripping, knitting and re-working the pattern as I go along. The charts are finished (I think,) unless I go ahead and do something totally crazy-go-nuts on the foot. I'll keep you posted.
Those of you who are on the watch for the Piggy Mittens, take heart! The pattern is going to turn up at some point this weekend, in plenty of time for Christmas gifts. It could be up tomorrow before noon or at 11 pm EST on Sunday evening but it will be up within the next two days. Just to let you know. :)
There's something like 39 knitting days left until Christmas now, so until then, I'm spoken for. Nevermind that I'm trying to sneak in the odd three or four pairs of mittens for myself or that the skein of STR Mediumweight is calling my name. I'm supposed to be making presents!
Even so, sometimes that doesn't work out. Take this mitten for example:
This is a Komi mitten from Marvelous Mittens by Charlene Schurch knit using Knit Picks Palette in Rainforest Heather and Tidepool Heather. It was originally intended to be half of a pair that would be given to some lucky recipient (who still remains a mystery, even to me.) Should the mitten and I hit it off, though, well...there's always room in my wardrobe for another pair of mittens. Especially fancy teal ones with gorgeous diagonal patterning.
I polished this baby off in four short days and...I don't know if it was the colour or the pattern but...I found myself getting attached. I wasn't that surprised, really.
Here's the funny thing, though -- part of the reason why this mitt went up so quickly was because it was knit on US 2's -- 2.75mm needles. The pattern called for a gauge of 8 sts to the inch and I got (wait for it) TEN. Ten freakin' stiches to the inch on US 2's! This is the gauge i get in the same yarn on US 0's! Needless to say, while the mitten fit me without a ridiculous amount of stretching I couldn't help but think that it might be happier keeping someone else's hands warm.
Luckily, I struck a deal with Heather (whose hands are just the right size for these mittens,) mittens for her and two skeins of lovely Koigu for me, which suits me just fine.
As for that Christmas knitting, it remains (mostly) on track. These are the Gingerbread Latvian Mittens I'm making for my Nana:
That's my progress after two days of mittening. I hope to hit the finger decreases this evening.